WHAT IS DIABETES?
Diabetes is a serious health condition that can lead to heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, high blood pressure, and blindness.
WHAT IS PREDIABETES?
Prediabetes increases the risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. Prediabetes affects an estimated 86 million Americans aged 20 or older but only 10% know they are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes.
ABOUT THE YMCA’S DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM
If you have been diagnosed with prediabetes, or believe you may be at risk for developing the disease, the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program can help you develop a healthier lifestyle and reduce the risks this condition can pose to your health. This ground-breaking program is designed to help adults at risk for developing type 2 diabetes reduce their risk through adopting and maintaining a healthy lifestyle by eating healthier and increasing physical activity. During the program, participants will receive support and encouragement from both a trained Lifestyle Coach and fellow participants. The program consists of 25 one-hour sessions delivered over the course of a year.
As a Participant, You’ll Enjoy
- A safe space where you can feel comfortable sharing and learning in private.
- Making new friends who will support you as you trade old habits for healthier new ones.
- Working as a group. You don’t have to figure this out alone.
- The new energy and confidence that comes with losing weight and reducing your risk for diabetes.
- Reduce participant’s body weight by 7%
- Gradually increase physical activity to at least 150 minutes per week
Based on research by the National Institutes of Health, programs like the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program have been shown to reduce the number of new cases of diabetes by 58% overall and by 71% in individuals over age 60.
Do I Qualify?
To qualify for the program, you must be:
- 18 years or older
- Overweight (BMI > 25)
- Demonstrate a risk for developing type 2 Diabetes through one of the three blood tests or a previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes
*If you do not have a blood test result, you must have a qualifying risk score.
Encouragement goes a long way when you are making big changes. The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program gives you the skills and support needed to make lasting, healthy lifestyle changes. Change is tough but we can help.
Cohorts are launching in your area! To find out if you qualify, or for additional information, contact:
Emily Hayden, Sports & Wellness Sr. Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or (217) 234-9494.