This year’s basketball season will look a little different, but we’re so excited to offer this opportunity for youth development at the Mattoon Y. The first season will be for children in Pre-K through 3rd grade. A league for 4th-8th graders as well as a Toledo league will be held beginning in January as long as state restrictions allow.
In YMCA basketball, youth ages 4 through Kindergarten will learn skill development appropriate for beginning athletes. Games are usually held on Friday evenings at the Y. Children in 1st through 3rd grade focus on the fundamentals of the game such as dribbling, passing, shooting and defense. Practices are held once a week at the Y with practice times determined by the team coach. Games will be held on Saturday mornings. This league is open to both boys and girls and each player will receive a t-shirt and a participation medal.
PLEASE NOTE THE IMPORTANT COVID-19 REQUIREMENTS BELOW. IF YOU CANNOT COMPLY, PLEASE WAIT FOR FUTURE SEASONS.
Early registration fees: Y members $30/ Non-members $50
Regular registration fees: Y members $40/ Non-members $60
Learn how to become a member!
MATTOON- 1st Season (Pre-K through 3rd grade)
- Early Registration: 9/9/20-9/16/20
- Regular Registration: 9/17/20-9/30/20
- Season Dates: October 12th – November 21st
Early registration: TBD
Regular registration: TBD
Program dates: TBD
IMPORTANT COVID-19 REQUIREMENTS
Participants will be placed in a division based on their grade level. This format will allow us to keep all kids in each division in their own group for the entire season with as limited contact and exposure as possible. It will also allow us to comply with the state guidelines that allow intrasquad scrimmages only.
Practices will take place immediately before games. Each division will practice for 20 minutes then scrimmage for 40 minutes. There will not be a separate day for practices. The practice session will start at the beginning of the time listed on the schedule. No need to arrive earlier than your scheduled game time.
Games will be scheduled Monday-Saturday. The schedule will vary throughout the season. Each division will get 6 games.
The Mattoon YMCA (specific gym TBD)
We ask that staff, spectators, athletes or coaches stay home if:
- He/she has been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- He/she has a temperature of 100.4 or above
- He/she is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms such as sore throat, cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing or loss of taste or smell.
- He/she has had close contact (15 min or more) with any other person who is diagnosed with COVID-19 should quarantine for 14 days after the last contact with that person.
Athletes and Coaches
- Do not show up more than 10 minutes prior to your practice/game time.
- Do not take the court for your game until the previous team clears out.
- Coaches will maintain the attendance log of participants for contact tracing purposes.
- Coaches will have hand sanitizer that each participant will need to use prior to participating.
- No handshakes after the game. We will come up with an alternative way to show good sportsmanship.
- Please leave the court immediately following your game.
- Players will sit 6 feet away from each other when not in play.
- ATHLETES WILL HAVE TO WEAR A MASK AT ALL TIMES.
- Coaches will wear a mask at all times!
- No late sign ups will be allowed.
- Group sizes will have to be limited to 50 people. This includes participants, coaches and spectators. We will only be allowed to have two spectators per participant.
- Spectators must be limited to immediate household members or guardians.
- MASKS ARE REQUIRED AT ALL TIMES.
- Do not arrive more than 10 minutes prior to the start of the game.
- Bring your own chairs and socially distance yourself 6 feet from anyone who does not live in the same household.
- Please leave immediately following the game so that we can prepare the court for the next group.
- Masks are required
- YMCA staff will disinfect all basketballs after each team is done with their session.
- YMCA staff will set up hand sanitizing stations at the court prior to any session.
*This is all subject to change given state and local guidelines.