Each year, the Christmas trees go up in the lobbies of the Mattoon Area Family YMCA and the Neal Center YMCA during the first week of November. Angel ornaments are hung on the trees, each one listing the gender and age of a senior as well as their Christmas wish list. Most items are in the $5-$20 range, making the project affordable for anyone who wants to give back to a local senior.
The Y anticipates serving 200 seniors in Coles, Cumberland and Clark counties each year. The program serves seniors in the following facilities:
- Charleston Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
- HillTop Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Mattoon Health Care & Rehabilitation Center
- Odd Fellow Rebekah Home
- Palm Terrace of Mattoon
- Heritage Woods of Charleston
- Brookstone Estates Mattoon North
- Cumberland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
- Heartland Senior Living
- Casey Health Care Center
- Heartland Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
Those wishing to support the Angel Tree program can stop by either YMCA location to choose an ornament. For more information, contact Sarah Dowell at (217) 234-9494 or firstname.lastname@example.org.