This class will give you all the training needed to become an American Red Cross Lifeguard. Participants Must be 15 by the last day of the class, pass all pre-requisites, perform all the skills with 100% accuracy, and pass the written test with 80% accuracy.
Open to everyone from ages 15 to 99
*The Participant must be at least 15 years old on or before the last day of the course. If not, they cannot take the course.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What if we have to miss one (or more) of the sessions?
- Prior arrangements must be made with the Aquatics Director and the instructor or non-attendance will result in failure to obtain the certification.
- I was previously Certified, but my most recent cert is expired. Can I take the review course?
- Ideally, review participants would still have a valid certification or an extension. If not, all requests will need to go through the YMCA Aquatics Director.
- What are the pre-requisites?
- There are 3 major skill pre-reqs. Students are expected to complete each of the skills on day 1. The course is NOT designed to teach these basic skills
- 300 Yard Swim
- Participants will need to swim 100 consecutive yards freestyle, 100 yards consecutive yards breaststroke, and 100 yards choice
- Timed Event (Brick Event)
- Participants will need to swim out 20 yards, submerge to 11-15 feet to retrieve a 10lb brick, and return to the side of the pool. After they grab the brick, they will need to keep both hands on the brick and complete this within 1 minute and 40 seconds
- Treading Water
- Participants will need to tread water for 2 minutes using only their legs in water over their head.
- What should I do to prepare for the course?
- We recommend that everyone practices the pre-reqs listed above. We also offer private swim lessons to help you prepare.
- My child (or myself) registers for the class, pays, and does not pass the pre-requisite skills. Can I get a refund?
- We are unable to provide refunds or credits for anyone who cannot complete the pre-reqs. It is expected that they can complete this prior to taking the course.