OUR CAUSE DEFINES US.
OUR STRENGTH IS IN COMMUNITY. OUR IMPACT IS FELT EVERY DAY.
Be part of a place where your work positively influences the lives of others, a place where you thrive in a values-based environment, a place where you are building a better future for yourself and your community.
We’re looking for creative, patient, and fun people who are passionate about kids! You’ll have a blast being creative with students in our Before & After School programs, and the perks of being a YMCA employee are great! Submit your application online, or contact Kayla Kerner at (217) 234-9494 or email@example.com for more information!
What You’ll Do:
Provide direct supervision to a group of children in a before and after school program or days out program. Provide a quality experience to children and parents that focus on the YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Assists in planning and organizing the schedule, including preparing and leading group activities, serving snacks, and clean up.
- Supervises a group of children.
- Plans and implements program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA core values.
- Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
- Attends staff meetings and trainings.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Maintains positive relations and communication with parents, school personnel and other staff.
- Enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures.
- Administer basic First Aid as needed.
- Endeavors to provide for the safety of each child in his/her care.
- Applies appropriate behavior management techniques.
- Performs other duties for the betterment of the program as needed or directed.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
- Meets educational and experience qualifications established by the Mattoon Area Family YMCA.
- Previous experience working with children in a developmental setting preferred.
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
- Previous experience with diverse populations.
- Complete all required staff safety trainings.
- Ability to plan, lead and participate in a range of activities in a variety of outdoor/indoor settings. Auditory and visual ability to respond to critical incidents.
- Frequent sitting, standing, and walking for extended periods of time.
- Occasional push/pull/carry/lift up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations.
We are hiring lifeguards for our indoor pool. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Hours will vary from early morning, afternoon and evening hours, including weekends. Applicants need to be certified through the American Red Cross as a lifeguard, or an equivalent. For more information on this position, please contact Austin Birch, Aquatics Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (217) 234-9494
What you’ll do:
- Maintains constant surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows/review/practices all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Completes related accident/incident reports as required.
- Maintains effective relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Performs chemical testing at appropriate times of the day, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Attends all staff meetings and training as required.
- Communicates any problems or member communications to Aquatic Director immediately.
- Other duties as assigned
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Minimum age of 18.
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification.
- YMCA or American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification.
- Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- Ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- Must be able to remain alert.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
- Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
- Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.